Instructor: Lia Ferro
This project is a great way to get out of your comfort zone and engage your imagination by creating different creatures out of abstracted shapes.
What you will need:
• Markers, colored pencils, or crayons
• A dark colored pen, pencil, or a thin marker
1. To begin, grab a piece of paper and 3-5 different colored markers, colored pencils, or crayons. You are going to create organic, abstract shapes all over your paper, meaning shapes that are rounded, or shapes that you might find in nature, like a bean. It is not perfectly round, it’s an organic shape. You will want to leave some space between the shapes. Make some shapes large and some small.
2. Once your paper is filled with wonderful shapes, take your black pen (or pencil, or thin marker) and think about who these shapes are. Are they animals? Are they people’s faces? You can use your black pen to give your shapes features. Take a look at the examples. Think about how this person or animal feels right now. Are they happy, surprised, silly, tired? How does their face show this?
3. The last step is to share your art with us! We want to see all the characters you create! Tag us @arlingtonartscenter with the hashtag #aacartonline.