Summer Education Assistant
Background and Description
Museum of Contemporary Art Arlington is a nonprofit visual arts organization in Arlington, Virginia. Located in an historic school building near the Virginia Square Metro, MoCA Arlington operates as a small non-collecting museum with nine galleries, two classrooms, and 12 artist studios. Its mission is to enrich community life by connecting the public with contemporary art and artists through exhibitions, educational programs, and artist residencies.
Museum of Contemporary Art Arlington is seeking qualified Education Assistants for our upcoming summer camp season running from June 20 through August 18. We are looking for candidates interested in working on-site at MoCA Arlington and at Marymount University’s main campus. Please note staff and instructors are to wear masks during summer programs.
Education Assistants are responsible for the following:
- This is a seasonal position for summer 2023, from June 20 through August 18
- You will be aiding the camp instructor in prep, clean-up, classroom management, escorting students to/from the restroom, and other tasks as assigned.
- On-site summer camps will have a maximum of 12 students in a single class.
- Education Assistants will be working with ages 5-10.
- This is a contracted position that receives $15/hour. Education Assistants will be expected to be on-site Monday-Friday for 25 hours a week between the hours of 8:45 am – 1:45 pm or 12:15 – 5:15 pm for the 9 weeks of camp.
An ideal candidate:
- Has 2+ years of experience with children. Preference will be given to candidates who have studied or are studying elementary education and/or studio arts on a college or university level .
- An interest in arts and elementary education.
- Must be comfortable being outdoors for an hour at a time.
- The employee is required to stand for long periods of time, should possess the ability to push, pull, and lift up to 50 pounds unassisted. Education Assistants will be asked to help to set up and break down our classroom space including moving and disinfecting tables and chairs.
- CPR certification required (Adult and Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED). If you are not already certified, MoCA will work with you to get certification.
- Candidates must pass a national background check, must have reliable transportation, and must be over the age of 18.
Museum of Contemporary Art Arlington is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. MoCA is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. Request reasonable accommodation by contacting MoCA Arlington.
If interested please contact Amber Cruz, Education Coordinator at firstname.lastname@example.org with the following:
- 3 professional references
- Optional cover letter