Background and Description
Museum of Contemporary Art Arlington is a nonprofit visual arts organization in Arlington, Virginia. Located in an historic school building near the Virginia Square Metro, MoCA Arlington operates as a small non-collecting museum with nine galleries, two classrooms, and 12 artist studios. Its mission is to enrich community life by connecting the public with contemporary art and artists through exhibitions, educational programs, and artist residencies.
MoCA Arlington is seeking thoughtful and creative art instructors interested in working with kids and teens. We are looking for art instructors interested in teaching on-site at MoCA Arlington and at Marymount University’s main campus. MoCA Arlington provides high quality art education for children and adults. We encourage our instructors to expand the creativity and artistic skill of their students by developing innovative and interesting projects and curriculum.
Instructors are responsible for the following:
- Developing and executing a unique art curriculum that provides high quality art education. We encourage our instructors to expand the creativity and artistic skill of their students by developing innovative and interesting projects.
- Creating materials lists and coordinating with MoCA Arlington staff, preparing and organizing supplies for projects for each class.
- Communicating consistently and openly with MoCA Arlington staff through email, in person, and over the phone when necessary.
About the position:
- On-site art camps will have a maximum of 12 students in a single class.
- Instructors leading classes with students ages 5-7 or 8-10 will work with an education assistant aiding in prep, clean-up, classroom management, escorting students to/from the restroom, etc.
- MoCA Arlington requires instructors, students, and classroom assistants to be fully vaccinated. Instructors, staff, and classroom assistants are required to wear a mask at all times.
- This is a contracted position starting at $32/hour – $35/hour based on experience.
- Camps are offered for the following age groups: 5-7, 8-10, 11-14, and 14-18
- Camps for 5-7 and 8-10 age groups are held onsite at MoCA Arlington. Classes for 11-14 and 14-18 are held on Marymount University’s main campus.
- *MoCA offers adult courses as well but we are primarily looking for instructors to lead children and teen classes at the moment.
An ideal candidate:
- Has 2+ years experience teaching children and/or teens
- Has strong written and verbal communication skills
- Has strong planning, and time management skills
- Is a practicing artist themselves
- Candidates must pass a national background check, must have reliable transportation, and must be over the age of 18.
Museum of Contemporary Art Arlington is an equal opportunity employer that values diversity. Candidates of all backgrounds are encouraged to apply. MoCA Arlington is committed to providing access, equal opportunity, and reasonable accommodation for individuals with disabilities in employment, its services, programs, and activities. Request reasonable accommodation by contacting MoCA Arlington.
If interested please contact Amber Cruz, Education Coordinator at email@example.com with the following:
- Resume/ CV
- 3 images of your students’ work
- 3 images of your work
- 3 professional references